Who We Are
LPN is a community of professionals and organizations from
diverse disciplines dedicated to helping people navigate the second half of life.
To create and communicate knowledge and resources that support
professionals in their work to enhance people's later lives and thus benefit society.
Intentional and holistic preparation for the complexities and possibilities of later life becomes
a common practice, accessible to all.
Learning: We prize the power of knowledge, experience and
innovation to improve performance, broaden outlook and achieve better outcomes.
Thought leadership: As pioneers, we are committed to growing and evolving
our own understanding of and contribution to the emerging field of integrative life planning.
Collaboration: We share information liberally, welcome diverse
perspectives, foster understanding and innovation, and promote joint projects within and across
Professionalism:We are ethical, hardworking and promote
excellence in practice.
Community: We are energized and bonded by our
common values, by our work and by one another.
- There is an emerging and rapidly growing field of knowledge about the second half of life that is changing expectations about aging and adult development. create value through continued productive work and other societal contributions.
- Cultural models for making the most of this life stage are not well established and the cost to society of inaction or lost opportunity can be high.
- Unique challenges, risks and opportunities are associated with the second half of life and they require fundamentally different responses than at other life stages.
- Intentional, iterative, and informed preparation enables people to take full advantage of this time of life.
- An integrative approach to second-half life planning recognizes the interrelationships among many life decisions, including financial, estate, health, housing, work, leisure, learning and legacy interests.
- Professionals working with older adults should possess a base knowledge of all life dimensions to enable referrals to other competent professionals who possess specialized expertise they do not.
- Preparation for the second half of life is of value to all people in or approaching this life stage, including all economic levels, and should be broadly available.