What is Life Planning?
THE SECOND HALF OF LIFE
This can be a deeply fulfilling life stage.
With many life goals completed, families launched and work responsibilities shifting or receding,
it is finally time for you!
Opportunities to try new things or to return to prior interests may drive your thinking.
Or you may need to continue working or caring for adult children and aging parents.
Whatever your situation, the second half of life is a new and distinct life stage that requires
careful planning and preparation.
Did you know?
- 100 years ago, average life expectancy was 47 years. Today at age 50, on average,
we have half our adult lives left to live in reasonably good health.
- The size of the over-50 population will double in the next 35 years, as
77 million Baby Boomers enter the second half of life.
- Retirement is becoming outmoded. 80% of Boomers expect to work for pay well
into traditional retirement age. (Lou Harris poll)
- Boomers also expect to contribute their time and energy to address economic,
social and political needs at home and abroad. (Lou Harris poll)
- The second half of life brings exciting developmental changes and a
greater understanding of life and what really matters. It is characterized by:
- An increase in individuality and authenticity, and a new sense of freedom to be who you are.
- A rise in creativity and spirituality, and a search for purpose.
- A greater interest in civic engagement, giving back, helping society and mentoring others.
- A new imperative to conserve and pass on values, wisdom and stories.
Does this sound like you?
- Wanting to deny your age?
- Thinking about "retiring", but not sure what that means for you?
- Having a hard time imagining life beyond your career or business?
- Concerned about what this next life stage will bring?
- Desiring to craft a more fulfilling and meaningful life?
- Worried about outliving your savings?
- Wanting a different life balance, but not knowing how to attain it?
- Considering how to leave something significant to the next generation?
- Finding no models to help you navigate this transition?
If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, you may be ready to start
planning for the second half of your life.
Read more about planning for the second half of life.